Pages

Monday, August 15, 2011

Tame the monster in my mouth!

I'm coming in a bit late this week, but it's still Monday and I've been thinking about this post and which 'issue' to tackle this week all day (... which is why I posted last weeks update last night...  I knew I wouldn't have had the time to do both today!)  (If you aren't on board with what is going on here, please check out Karlee's blog The Mother Experiment for an explanation.)

This week I'm going to work on stopping swearing.  This is not something that I want to do...  it is something that I HAVE to do.  Both Todd and I both swear quite a bit....  I know, it's disgusting.. and I don't have any real reason for why we do, we just do.  And it's not always the 'nice' swear words....  the 'not so nice' one's come out of our mouth quite regularly too!  And we use them just because we can, in our general sentences - they aren't always used to emphasise a point, if you know what I mean.  As I said...  I know, it's really disgusting (and anyone who knows us would probably vouch!)

But now that we have a toddler who is getting her tongue around about 15 new words a day at the moment (....  this child is trying to say words like 'vegemite', 'giraffe' and 'dangerous'....  she's not getting them exactly right, but I know that's what she's trying to say!) and watching everything and learning so much from Todd and I, we really need to be much more aware of what we are doing and saying all the time and what sort of an example we are to her and Piper.

You would think that we would have used the 18 months that we've had to prepare for this time, but no....  if anything, I think I have gotten worse, I think because I don't have to spend my days being 'professional' everyday.  The fact that we have ever used bad language in either of our daugther's vicinity is pretty disgusting and certainly not something I am proud of.  (Not that we do it often in their vicinity and NEVER, EVER at them!!) 

I'm using the thought of how I am going to feel the first time I hear Mackenna say the 'f' word as my inspiration for keeping me on track with this one.....  I certainly hope that I don't have to hear that until she is well and truly grown up (... yeah, unlikely!)

3 comments:

  1. If only more parents would think of the example they are setting for their children

    ReplyDelete
  2. I find it really hard not to swear around my kids - especially if hubby is home, for some reason we bring the worst out in each other. Good luck on the swearing. I think it will be something my kids will have to learn when it is really inappropriate to swear & behave. Make mummy look good.

    ReplyDelete
  3. For some reason missed this post until tonight. This is my goal for this week. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your comments. Thanks so much for taking the time to leave one!