It's just after 7am on a rainy Monday morning (not that any morning is too dissimilar to any other morning for me at the moment!) and the house is dead quiet. Piper has been up and feed and is back asleep again and Hurricane Mackenna is still asleep, due to wake up any time between now and 8:30am (she had a late night last night and only one sleep yesterday.) When she wakes up is usually dependent on how much noise Todd and I make.
I love this time of the morning. Piper has only just started consistently waking up between 5:30 - 6:30am and it is working out quite well. Better than 3 or 4am when it's too early to just stay up, but pointless to go back to bed for only an hour's sleep (just makes me feel worse when I have to get up again.) Because I can't make any noise in fear of waking everyone up (I don't even turn the TV on), I don't like doing any more housework than putting a load of washing on. Even sitting on the computer typing wakes Mackenna up meaning I have to close the study door, which I don't like doing because I can't hear her when she does wake up, so I keep checking FB and emails, writing blog posts or internet surfing to a bare minimum too.
That pretty much means that I have nothing much to do except stand in the kitchen and drink a cup of tea and write lists (I love lists!), read a magazine or book or something like that. I savour every moment...... once the Hurricane gains it's momentum and gets going for the day, I generally don't get another minute to think about anything other than her (and Piper too of course) until she goes to bed again 12 - 13 hours later (and then it's time to do a couple of hours housework before it's my bedtime.) Not that I'm at all complaining!! Every single minute I spend with her makes me smile and laugh, even when she's being naughty or trying to push my buttons. She is so clever for her age.... she may not talk in proper English just yet (she has her own language going on at the moment, thankfully Todd and I can kinda interpret it) but she knows EXACTLY what Todd and I are telling her or asking her to do... it just depends if she wants to oblige or not and she knows exactly what to do to get our attention (which doesn't always end well eg. her Superman impressions off the couch have twice ended in a misfooting that has seen her come down not so gracefully on our lino floor.) And everything she does is always accompanied by the most gorgeous facial expressions, which she has an enormous range of!! And her actions to her favourite Yo Gabba Gabba songs really deserve a mention too because they are so cute they even make me get on the floor in front of the TV to do them with her!!
Anyways... back to the original topic (I could tell you about how amazingly gorgeous my toddler is all day!!) I'm so glad that I do just get an hour or so to have to think and worry about absolutely nothing. I've managed to learn to juggle both the girls pretty well..... last night's girls dinner time went something like this.... organise Mackenna and her dinner in the high chair, feed Piper half her feed and change her nappy, give Mackenna her dessert, give Piper the rest of her feed and burp her and put her in her swing for some 'awake time' (which will hopefully result in some sleep time too.... too busy at that time of night to try and put her in bed and have to listen to any amount of crying!), bath Mackenna and give her a bottle, watch a Yo Gabba Gabba episode or 2, then I put her to bed at about 8:20pm. (Todd does normally help out, but we had a friend over for dinner last night so he was a bit sidetracked.) All that started at about 5:45pm! And then it's time for us to have our dinner, which by the time we have eaten and are cleaned up normally goes through til 9pm or so.
[back on topic again Kristy...]
So yeah, the time I spend having to think about nothing is great and I am so thankful for it!! By the end of each day, I am generally absolutely exhausted and totally frazzled and I can't wait to just crawl into bed. I'm a methodical kind of person who needs to have 'boxes in my head' for all the different things that swim around it and when I don't get a chance to just sit and think every now and again, I don't function very well. I'm so glad too that Piper has fallen into this 'time slot' (I have 'time slots' for just about everything during the times the kids are awake) because it means I don't have to rush her first morning feed and I can spend some time just with her and get her asleep again before Mackenna wakes up and has her own undivided Mummy attention.
It's now almost 8am and the house is still dead quite..... I've heard Mackenna stirring a little bit, but it's very dark this morning and perfect weather for a sleep in, so I think she may have rolled over and gone back to sleep!! Think I might go and make myself another cup of tea.... :)
No comments:
Post a Comment
I love reading your comments. Thanks so much for taking the time to leave one!