Pages

Thursday, June 9, 2011

Songs that give me goosebumps

Recently Todd and I have started listening to 97.3FM in the car permanently.  I am a huge Nova fan, because I like to keep up with the new music, but we must be getting old because the music just seems to be crap these days and some of the presenters they have on just drive us up the wall (namely Fitzy & Whippa, but the Breakfast show just hasn't been the same since Ash & Kip left too.)  Both Todd and I also really enjoy listening to the older music and actually being able to sing along.  Music has and always will play a huge part in both of our lives and our life together and we plan to instil the same love of music into our girls, as what our parents gave us.  We both love to sing and are pretty darn good on our music trivia too.  (We kind of get embarrassed playing either Singstar, Guitar Hero or the original Buzz with people, because we kind of overrule the games and always win, which we know isn't fun for our opponents! It is fun to play each other though!) 

So anyways....  lately I've been hearing a lot of songs that I haven't heard in ages, many of which have some great memories attached to them.  It has gotten me to thinking about different songs that, to this day, give me goosebumps when I hear the first bar of music, or sing a particular line...  the ones that have significant importance to my past, present and my future.

1. The Rainbow Connection - Kermit the Frog
My Mum and Dad have this on vinyl and it used to be my one of my favourites as a young girl.  It was always a real treat to get the record player going and I remember when I was able to put the records on myself.  I thought it was great!! (Can't tell you what age I was.)

2. Throw Your Arms Around Me - Hunters & Collectors
This was played at the funeral of a very good friend, who died tragically when he was 23 and I was 18.  It was the first death I had faced that wasn't an elderly relative or family friend and at the time, I was very close to his family and friends, so it really had an impact on me.  Literally the first guitar strum of this song brings up goosebumps, even 13 years on.

3. I Am Mine - Pearl Jam
I'll post the lyrics to this song at the bottom, because it is the words that my favourite ever performer (Eddie Vedder) wrote and sang that have their importance to me.  This song has given me a lot of confidence over the years and has reminded me that, I am me and only I can shape what happens in my life.  I would love to someday have some reference to this song tattooed on me (...  the whole first verse is a bit long though...LOL!)

4. I Love It - Sneaky Sound System
This was Todd's and mine first 'song'.  It was popular when we first got together and the lyrics had significant relevance to how we got together and the events surrounding it (which if you don't know that story, is a whole other story for a whole other time!)

5. Watch Over Me - Bernard Fanning
I know it's cliche, but this is the song that Todd and I first danced to at our wedding.  Just to hear the first few strums of the guitar of this song takes me back to the first of the three best days of my life and reminds me how happy it has made me that I've been lucky enough to marry the person I believe was put on this earth for me.  A year prior to Todd and I getting married, I never believed that I would know the happiness that he has bought to my life. (I'll post the lyrics to this too, because they are really beautiful.)

6. Dinosaur - Kisschassy
This song was being flogged by Nova around the time Mackenna was born and it always seemed to be playing whenever I turned the radio on in Mackenna's presence.  Only the main line "But our love is a dinosaur, hear it roar" has real significance in the lyrics department (the song is about how he's always away from home, but their love is always strong... in a nutshell.)  It just kind of turned into her song when she was really little because it was nice to sing to her.

7. Just The Way You Are - Bruno Mars
I'm sure the lyrics to this are still fresh in everyone's mind, cause the radio stations are still flogging it, but I've posted them below too.  No matter where I am or what I am doing at the time I hear this song, first the line "She's so beautiful and I tell her everyday" brings up goosebumps and wells tears in my eyes and by the time it's up to the "You know, I'd never ask you to change, If perfects what your searching for, then just stay the same" line, I'm full blown howling.  This is how I feel about Mackenna (& Piper too, of course, but she wasn't born when it first came out and started having this effect on me.)  (And see... even just thinking about the words has got tears streaming down my face.)  I don't think anything in the world can really prepare you for, or compare to the love a parent has for a child and I hope that my girls know that this song sums up exactly how I feel about both of them.

8. American Pie - Don McLean
I nearly forgot one.....  one night when I was maybe 8 or 9, our next door neighbour had a party and a friend of my Mum & Dad's that was there saw me singing away happily to this song.  He laughed and said to me "You are definitely Thommo's daughter!"  I don't know if he meant it as a compliment of not, but I took it as one and to this day, am very proud of being "Thommo's daughter", who could sing all of American Pie (among other classics!) at such a young age.


------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I Am Mine (Pearl Jam)

The selfish, they're all standing in line
Faithing and hoping to buy themselves time
Me, I figure as each breath goes by, I only own my mind

The North is to South what the clock is to time
There's east and there's west and there's everywhere life
I know I was born and I know that I'll die
The in between is mine, I am mine

And the feeling, it gets left behind
All the innocence lost at one time
Significant, behind the eyes
There's no need to hide... we're safe tonight

The ocean is full 'cause everyone's crying
The full moon is looking for friends at high tide
The sorrow grows bigger when the sorrow's denied
I only know my mind, I am mine

And the meaning, it gets left behind
All the innocents lost at one time
Significant, behind the eyes
There's no need to hide... we're safe tonight

And the feelings that get left behind
All the innocents broken with lies
Significance, between the lines (We may need to hide)

And the meanings that get left behind
All the innocents lost at one time
We're all different behind the eyes
There's no need to hide


Just The Way You Are (Bruno Mars)

Oh, her eyes, her eyes, make the stars look like they're not shining
Her hair, her hair, falls perfectly without her trying
She's so beautiful, and I tell her every day

Yeah, I know, I know, when I compliment her she won't believe me
And it's so, it's so, sad to think that she don't see what I see
But every time she asks me do I look ok, I say

When I see your face, there's not a thing that I would change
Cause you're amazing, just the way you are
And when you smile, the whole world stops and stares for a while
Because girl you're amazing, just the way you are(yeah)

Her lips, her lips, I could kiss them all day if she let me
Her laugh, her laugh, she hates but I think it's so sexy
She's so beautiful, and I tell her every day

Oh, you know, you know, you know, I'd never ask you to change
If perfect's what you're searching for then just stay the same
So, don't even bother asking if you look ok
You know I'll say

When I see your face, there's not a thing that I would change
Cause you're amazing, just the way you are
And when you smile, the whole world stops and stares for a while
Because girl you're amazing, just the way you are
The way you are, the way you are
Girl you're amazing, just the way you are

When I see your face, there's not a thing that I would change
Cause you're amazing, just the way you are
And when you smile, the whole world stops and stares for a while
Cause girl you're amazing, just the way you are. Yeah


Watch Over Me (Bernard Fanning)

When trouble fills my world
You bring me peace
You calm me down
You're my relief
When walls come crashing down around my feet
You light my way
You're my release

So say you'll watch over me
When I'm in too deep
Tell me you'll always be
There to pull me free

When the sun is beating down upon my brow
You are my shade
You cool me down
Every time i tried to turn away
You brought me 'round
Your humble way

So say you'll watch over me
When I'm in too deep
Tell me you'll always be
There to pull me free
There to rescue me

For every time you sheltered me from harm
You showed me truth
Kept me warm
Every time you left me on the street
I found my way
I found my feet

So say you'll watch over me
When I'm in too deep
Tell me you'll always be
There to pull me free
There to rescue me
There to pull me free
There to rescue me

1 comment:

  1. I always think of you for that reason when I hear hunters. Renee x

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your comments. Thanks so much for taking the time to leave one!